Optional email code
WAIVER OF LIABILITY, HOLD HARMLESS, EMERGENCY MEDICAL CARE AUTHORIZATION AND MEDIA RELEASE
The Giving Spirit (“TGS”), a §501(c) tax-exempt charitable organization, engages in activities throughout the year and holds two main events designed to provide immediate and longer-term aid to the homeless in Greater Los Angeles. In consideration for permission to participate in TGS activities, I and, if a minor, my parent(s) or legal guardian for themselves and on my behalf, do agree as follows:
WAIVER OF LIABILITY AND HOLD HARMLESS:
1. I fully understand that there are inherent risks and hazards involved when working as a volunteer for TGS because of the nature of the work TGS performs in acquiring items useful to the homeless, assembling those items into kits, and distributing the kits to them directly on the streets where they live.
2. These risks and hazards include, without limitation, personal injury or property damage resulting from:
• Physical activity, including work with and/or around heavy items such as moving equipment, heavy boxes, full and empty pallets, cases of items for kits, stacked inventory and full kits.
• Working in an assembly environment among other volunteers inside and outside of a large hall or other similar assembly space with constant activity and premises risks.
• Working with small tools such as scissors or box cutters.
• Working in and around vehicles, both parked and moving, including sport utility vehicles, cargo vans, mini-vans and box trucks.
• If participating in the distribution of assembled kits to homeless persons, whether using private or rented vehicles, either as a driver or a passenger, risks include (without limitation) criminal or tortious acts committed by third persons (such as shoving in crowds or grabbing kits or kit items), traffic accidents, vehicle damage, risks associated with working around, loading and unloading vehicles in unfamiliar locations and risks associated with communicable diseases.
• During TGS organized activities and otherwise during the year - driving or riding in vehicles for TGS-related work, working in and around TGS’ storage facilities among pallets, equipment, tools and stacked inventory, visiting unfamiliar businesses, private and/or public institutions, in unfamiliar areas while promoting or working on behalf of TGS activities.
3. I and, if a minor, my parent(s) or legal guardian for themselves and on my behalf, accept and assume all responsibility for my personal actions and any and all risks of personal injury and property damage, which occur during or result from my participation, including potential injury, while working.
RELEASE AND INDEMNITY:
I and, if a minor, my parent(s) or legal guardian for themselves and on my behalf, fully understand and agree that TGS or any of its directors or its leadership volunteers, shall not be responsible or liable in any way for any accident, loss, death, injury, or damage to myself or my property, in connection with TGS activities or any portion thereof even if the injury or action is due to the alleged negligence of TGS. Further, I do hereby agree to indemnify and hold harmless against any and all liabilities, damages, claims, suits, judgments, and associated costs and expenses (including, without limitation, attorneys fees) of whatsoever kind in connection with my volunteering for TGS activities or any portion thereof. Further, I make this agreement on behalf of my heirs, agents, fiduciaries, successors, and assigns. I waive, knowingly and voluntarily, each and every claim or right of action I have now or may have in the future against TGS related to its activities, even if such claim or right was caused by TGS’ alleged negligence.
EMERGENCY MEDICAL CARE AUTHORIZATION:
I and, if a minor, my parent(s) or legal guardian for themselves and on my behalf, hereby state that I am in good health and have medications necessary to treat allergic or chronic conditions without aid. If at any time during TGS activities I need emergency medical care and am not able to give consent because of my physical or mental condition, I authorize emergency medical care decisions to be made on my behalf, including if I am a minor governed by this release, and specifically release TGS in making those emergency medical care decisions, from any and all liability associated with such decisions, even if injury or death is the result of TGS’ alleged negligence.
I understand that photographs and videos of TGS activities are taken by and for TGS. I agree and, if a minor, my parent(s) or legal guardian for themselves and on my behalf, to allow TGS to use any photographs, videos, or images, in which I may appear, and my name, as part of informational, advertising and public relations media, including, without limitation, on TGS’ website/social media outlets.
THIS ELECTRONIC DOCUMENT COVERS PARTICIPATION IN ALL OF THE GIVING SPIRIT’S EVENTS AND ACTIVITIES.
If signing on behalf of a minor, please note:
• Youth are not permitted to participate in any activity without a supervising adult. No more than 4 minors per supervising adult.
• TGS urges parents/guardians to use caution as to whether loading and/or distribution of kits are appropriate for minors under their supervision.